Monday, May 3, 2010

The Love of Running


Lately I've been reading "Born to Run, A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall. It was given to me as a Christmas present, and I started it soon after the new year but have just recently gotten serious about reading it (mainly due to all the plane trips I've been taking lately). I am so sorry that I didn't get into it earlier. The usual take-away from this book seems to be that we should return to the way humans used to run, the way we were built to run, with little or no footwear. I however, am being incredibly inspired by the description of the pure love of running. As I'm waiting for my running partner to get here, I'll jot a few of my favorite excerpts:

That's the real secret of the Tarahumara: they'd never forgotten what it felt like to love running. They remembered that running was mankind's first fine art, our original act of inspired creation. Way before we were scratching pictures on caves or beating rhythms on hollow trees, we were perfecting the art of combining our breath and mind and muscles into fluid self=propulsion over wild terrain.

No wonder so many people hated running; if you thought it was only a means to an end -- an investment in becoming faster, skinnier, richer -- then why stick with it if you weren't getting enough quo for your quid?


Posted on the wall of Vigil's office was a magic formula for fast running that, as far as Deena could tell, had absolutely nothing to do with running: it was stuff like, "Practice abundance by giving back," and "Improve personal relationships," and "Show integrity to your value system." [...] "Eat as though you were a poor person."


Off for a sunset run!

No comments: